The VLSC is an online tool for managing Microsoft Volume Licensing agreements, downloading products, and accessing volume license keys. You will only need a VLSC account if you have ordered any discounted Microsoft software that includes Software Assurance. If you have ordered Microsoft products without Software Assurance, refer to this guide for download instructions.
Before you can download and install the software you requested, you'll need to register and accept your agreement at the VLSC.
If this isn't your first request and you've already registered at the VLSC, skip to Step Two.
Step One: Register
To register at the VLSC:
- Go to the VLSC at https://www.microsoft.com/licensing/servicecenter.
- Click Sign In.
- If sign-in options are presented, choose to sign in with a Work Account.
- You will be asked to enter your email address. Enter your organization's email address that is registered with TechSoup and follow the on-screen instructions to create your account.
- You will receive an email that welcomes you to the Volume Licensing Service Center and asks you to validate your information. Wait at least 15 minutes and then click the link in this email to validate your email address. You'll need to wait at least this long because there is a lag before the VLSC makes the terms and conditions available.
You can also watch a video from Microsoft to learn how to register.
Step Two: Accept Your Agreement
After you click the link in the welcome email to validate your email address, you should be signed in on the VLSC website. If not, simply go to the VLSC and sign in before proceeding.
You'll be prompted to sign and accept the terms and conditions of the Open License Agreement.
You'll need to accept a new agreement each time you place a product request for Microsoft software.
To accept the agreement terms
- Select the following options and then click Display.
- Open License Type: Charity
- Country of Usage: Your country
- Language: Your preferred language
If you aren't immediately prompted with the terms and conditions on the VLSC, It might take up to 48 hours for access to be granted. Keep the validation email and click the link in it again after a 48-hour period.
Step 3: Download your software and retrieve your product key
To download your software (does not apply to Office suites and individual applications)
- If you haven't already, sign in to the VLSC.
- Choose Downloads and Keys from the navigation bar. The Downloads and Keys page appears, showing all products in your request, grouped by families.
- Find the specific product you want to download. You can download the current or previous version of any product you request through TechSoup on the VLSC. Click 'Key' to get your key from the column labelled 'Key' and copy this down.
- Click the Download link associated with that product.
- Select your download method, language, and operating system type if applicable (32-bit or 64-bit). You can choose any version or language of a product that's available. You can use either Microsoft's recommended download manager or your web browser for the download. Click Continue.
- Click the Download down arrow icon that appears under your product listing.
- If you are using your web browser to download your software, the Save As dialog box appears. Specify your location and click Save to start the download. Repeat as needed for other download files.
- If you are using the download manager, the application opens, and the download begins. The download manager displays the progress and status at the top of the window. You can click Pause at any time to pause the download operation. You can restart the download manager and click Resume at a later time.
For server products that require setup codes for installation, the codes appear on the VLSC download page after download is complete.
Once you have downloaded your software, you can follow the guide here to install it.
This article first appeared on the TechSoup Global website and has been modified - thanks to them for sharing!