Get Genuine is a full operating system, not an upgrade, offered through Microsoft's 'Get Genuine Windows Agreement for Small and Medium Organisations' program. It is available only to correct scenarios in which an organisation has an existing PC with one of the following operating systems installed on it:
- Counterfeit, pirated, or otherwise illegal, unlicensed, or improperly licensed Microsoft Windows operating system
- The standard edition of Windows 8 or 8.1
- Home Premium, Home Basic, or Starter editions of Microsoft Windows 7 or Microsoft Windows Vista
- Home or Starter editions of Microsoft Windows XP
- Linux, FreeDOS, or other operating system
Once computers have genuine Microsoft Windows, users can keep their current operating system up-to-date with the latest service packs and security updates by downloading them with Microsoft Windows Update.
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional is the latest Microsoft operating system. It features enhanced performance, a simplified interface, expanded search capabilities, and more secure networking. This 64-bit version operates on a computer with a 64-bit processor and 64-bit drivers.
Eligible organisations may place only one request ever for Get Genuine products.
Since Get Genuine products are part of the Microsoft Windows Desktop Operating Systems title group, an organisation's request for them will reduce the number of operating system upgrade products it may request in its current two-year donation cycle.
Requests for Get Genuine products may not contain any other products. During check-out, the Get Genuine Windows Agreement for Small and Medium Organisations must be accepted on behalf of the organisation.